Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

Marc and Angel Hack Life - Pursuing Passion!

Photo take by Robert Janes
Ok. So, my friend Curtis just turned Sierra & I on to this blog that he's been following for about a year and well I'm feeling inspired!

Check it out @: Marc and Angel Hack Life

This couple, has been sharing practical life advice with 1,000's of others for sometime now and well the practical advice has just given me a boost of confidence in our pursuit of our passion(s). Checkout the article "10 Lies You will Hear before You Pursue Your Dreams". I can realistically say that Sierra & I are on our 1st real journey together right now. WE ARE STARTING! Society-at-large has more or less directed us to this point in time, go to school... check, get a degree...check, find a good job...check, but here is where the hard decisions have started to come. Sure, we have had quite a number or adventures, but we have never focused on one this large! And as cliche as it is to say - This is what life is about.

I'm sure none of this is new to anyone reading this but really, at this juncture, I have to ask, "What are we all doing?" There are so many friends, family members, colleagues, and even ourselves that I've seen laying down and pushing thru the day to day just waiting, for what? The next paycheck. A new car. A bigger house. These can all be great material things, but where is the fun in enjoying them, if you just don't like your life. Why do we mindlessly pursue useless entertainments... We're not drones - This is no way to live life. We all have so much life in us, so much to experience, so much more to learn.. to enjoy!

I know that nothing I'm saying is profound and it's certainly all been heard before, but I am just so excited that we are actually starting the process - Pursuing what we want out of life. We know that not everyone will understand our choices, and maybe (don't tell anyone), sometimes we won't/don't understand them either, but we are making them for better or worse! And, most importantly we have seized control of our own futures. We are the decision makers in our lives now. I'm just hoping this might reach out to one person, who is wondering how to get started, and hoping that by knowing one person, that has started, that it might inspire. I suppose now I'll have to document the struggle, but strangely enough, that is one of the most exciting things in my life!

So, if you've read the article I do strongly agree on several points on which we've followed: (1) Don't just go blindly diving into the unknown - come up with a plan and do the research to know  when, where, and how your passion can evolve. Of course there will always be unknowns but figure out as much as you can! (2) Definitely figure out how much you need to live - at almost every juncture in my life, that I have attempted to pursue something, those older and wiser than myself have almost always said save at least  6-months worth of living costs! (3) Don't worry about having every penny stashed away, just get as close as you can. And most importantly, NEVER EVER, GIVE UP.

Your passion, your dreams, they are the only thing in this world worth fighting for, no matter how ridiculous they may seem. We are all worth BELIEVING in! So, like my friendly Alaskan whale up there and as Marc and Angel said, let's make our splash!

And don't forget Bill Gates dropped out of college his freshman year to pursue his passion!

Hope someone reads this... haha

Pablo

3 comments:

  1. I love it!! Thanks for the shout out up top!!

    -Curtis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this post. I spent the past several years on a journey that helped me discover what I'm passionate about and who I want to be. There is nothing that can stop me from pursuing that. Once you understand what your passion is you start to see how meaningless a "regular, routine" life can be. This is a question I asked this past year:

    "Why is it that we spend our whole lives doing work we don't love to buy things that don't matter in order to impress people we don't know?"

    I'm on a mission to become the best possible person I can be in order to inspire others to do the same and more importantly, to make a positive contribution to the world.

    I can sense your enthusiasm and I'm so happy for the both of you! If there's any way I can help, just let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pablo I read your post two times. Your words shape a kind of sweet and scary, uncomfortable but pleasant message, all at the same time!
    Sweet because I can see how I want to live until it ends… smiling and profoundly happy, (of course with its doses of uncertainty too, ha, oh-yeah baby bring it on!).
    Scary because society has evolved to a point where we have to live with its inherent organization and to cope with ITS problems, no need to say but societies’ problems are powerful and well structured, too. If we are not careful to recognize them we must certainly swallow them straight to our soul instead of leave them where they belong.
    Uncomfortable because some times is very difficult to realize how our society’s has given us a very relaxed place in her lap and at the same time she brand us the same way it brands her products. She is expecting from us what we are supposed to do (paraphrasing your word, ha-ha). Of course we can do what is “expected” but this doesn’t feel right when we MUST do it without questions, it feels suffocating and uncomfortable.
    And pleasant because I recognize that somewhere in other places there are people like us who are worried about -all THIS- and they want to give their best trying to find its own way to happiness.
    I don’t know what else to say but just to finish… for the better or worse is clever to realize that some of us will find the best days of our lives everyday, some of us won’t, some of us will be deceived and some of us will affirm its impossible to find them. Today at least, what I’m happy for is the fact that yesterday at night I read your post (also today’s morning). Your words already touched me Pab, if that was one of your goals, you already have one point to your score ☺.
    Love,
    David.

    P.S. I just want to say this little thing too… Thanks to our parents, they gave us the chance to be well fed and educated because if it weren’t for them we would have never had the time needed in order to use critical thinking over ourselves and the environment where we live.
    Most of the people in the world do not even see the circle in what we are all walking because they have to bust their butt working so hard to provide (their kids, their society dreams, or their pleasures) that they simply follow their role and when they realize they do have a little thing called life… boom… personal big bang, well that if they some day do it.

    ReplyDelete